CONTINUE TO WORK OUT YOUR SALVATION
Key Verses: 2:12b-13
1. Read verse 12. How does “therefore” connect Christ’s example with the Philippians? What does it mean “to work out your salvation”? What attitude should they have? Why do we need to continue to obey, and what great assurance can we have in doing so? (13) What is God’s good purpose? (3:21; Ro 8:28-30)
2. What did Paul exhort God’s children not to do, and to do? (14-16a) How does grumbling and arguing hinder God’s good work and destroy Christian community? (15a; 1Cor 10:10) What happens when God’s children hold firmly to the word of life without grumbling? (15b,16b)
3. What metaphor did Paul use to describe his suffering, and even death? (17) Why do you think he related his sacrifice to that of the Philippians? How was Paul a good example to them to rejoice in the midst of suffering? (18)
4. What was Paul’s plan to encourage the Philippians? (19-24) In what respect was Timothy exemplary? How did he prove himself? What does Timothy show young people in the way he related to Paul and to God’s people?
5. How did Paul commend Epaphroditus to them? (25) Why did Paul want to send him back to them? (26-30) How do Paul, Timothy and Epaphroditus reflect the character of Christ? What can we learn from them that applies in working out our own salvation?