CONTINUE TO LIVE IN CHRIST
Key Verses: 2:6,7
* FULL LIFE IN CHRIST (6-15)
1. Read verses 6,7. To what does the phrase “So, then” refer? How had the Colossians responded to the message about Jesus? (6a) What does it mean to receive Jesus as Lord? Why is this important?
2. What should they do now? (6b) What does it mean to “continue to live in him”? (Jn 8:31,32; 15:4) In verse 7, what are the three ways they can do this? Think about the meaning of “rooted in him.” (Ps1:2,3; Jn15:7) “Built up in him.” (Mt7:24,25) How can we be “strengthened in the faith”? (7c) Why must we “overflow with thankfulness”?
3. What warning does Paul give them, and why? (8) In verses 9-12, how many times is the phrase “in Christ” or its equivalent repeated? What have we been given in him, and how? What is the circumcision done by Christ? (12)
4. What was our former condition? (13a; Eph 2:1-3) What has God done for us through Jesus’ cross? (13b) Think about the triumph of the cross; what was canceled; what was disarmed? (14,15) [Here, “powers and authorities” means the power of Satan, and “public spectacle” means a victory over the enemy.]
* EMPTY HERESIES (16-23)
In light of verses 13-15, what does “Therefore” mean? (16a) [Verses 16,17 refer to Jewish legalism, verses 18,19, to angel worship, and verses 20-23, to asceticism.] How should we respond to the judgment of false teachers? (16a) What are some contemporary forms of legalism?
What was the dangerous influence of those who worshiped angels? (18) Why did people become like this? (19) Why do people lose connection with the head? Why is this a serious problem? (10) What are some contemporary forms of false spirituality?
What did ascetics teach and why? (21-23) Why are these things meaningless? (20) What must we do to continue to live in Christ?