TO LIVE IS CHRIST, TO DIE IS GAIN
Key Verse: 1:21
1. What were the two contrasting motives in preaching Christ, and how did the two groups relate to Paul? (15-17) What was “the important thing” to Paul? (18) What was the secret to his joy?
2. For what reason did Paul continue to rejoice? (19) How could he have such a joy? Whether his “deliverance” was from prison or from this world, what was his eager expectation and hope? (20) What was his life purpose? (21) How could he have such a life purpose? (3:8; Gal 2:20) What can we learn here about being Christ-centered?
3. What was Paul’s dilemma? (22-24) What was his personal desire? For what reason did he want to remain in the body? What resolution did he come to and why? (25-26) What can we learn here about loving others?
4. What principle did Paul exhort them to have, whatever happens? (27a) What frightened them? (28a) How could they overcome it and what sign does this give? (28b) Why is it so important to strive together as one for the faith of the gospel?
5. In addition to believing in Christ, what else has been granted to us for his sake? (29) What good example did Paul show to them? (30) What do you learn here about how to encourage others in suffering for Christ?