KEEP SEEKING CHRIST
Key Verse: 3:1
NEW LIFE IN CHRIST (1-4)
1. What is the believer’s present state? (1a; 1:13,14; 2:12,13) In light of this, what should we do? (1b,2) What are the “things above”? (1c) What does this mean? [In Greek, “set your hearts/minds on” means “seek.”] (cf. Mt6:33a; Ro2:7)
2. Why should we not seek earthly things, but rather things above? (3,4) In verses 1-4 how often is the expression “with Christ” repeated? With Christ, what is our present reality and our future hope?
PUT TO DEATH THE EARTHLY NATURE (5-11)
3. Since we have new life with Christ, what must we do with our earthly nature? (5a) What are some of its elements? (5b) Why must we not live like this? (6) What does “put to death” mean, and how can we? (cf. Ro 6:11-13)
4. How did the Colossians used to live? (7) Of what must they now rid themselves? (8,9) Why does Paul especially mention lying? (9) What new identity do we have? (10) How does this make the Christian community different from the world? (11)
CHRISTIAN VIRTUES (12-17)
5. How does Paul describe Christians? (12a) What virtues should we put on? (12b) How should we treat one another? (13,14) Which virtue does he emphasize and why?
6. What should rule in our hearts, and why? (15) Especially, what should we let dwell in us richly? (16a) What should we do based on his word? (16b) Who should be the focus of all our words and deeds? (17a)
7. How often does Paul repeat thanks or its equivalent in verses 15-17? Why is it so important to be thankful? (1Th5:18; Ro1:21)